My Store

This store is powered by Ecwid - Shopping Cart Software. If you your browser does not support JavaScript, please proceed to its simple HTML version.

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Lulu's Heritage Soapworks is Born!

Rub a dub dub, Lulu in a tub!
My first batch of soap was made by following my Great Aunt Reba's recipe. It was just a plain, basic soap made with lard, lye, ammonia and borax!  Can you believe it?  Don't freak out when you see the word lye (or sodium hydroxide).  It is a necessary ingredient to make soap.  Soap is made from oils and alkali and soap can't be soap without it.  The beautiful thing is that once these are mixed together in the proper weights and formulas, a chemical reaction called saponification takes place and the lye is no longer lye.  It has transformed into soap!  

Soaps have come a long way since my great Aunt Reba's and my Grandparents days. Now they are works of art with all sorts of fragrances, skin loving oils, additives, coloring techniques, etc. Once you try these soaps you will not want to go back to the detergent and chemically laden bars sold by the big manufacturers. Your skin will love the natural glycerin bi-product contained in home made soaps.  If you are like me, you will come to appreciate the beauty of continuing a tradition of soap-making that I know my ancestors would be proud of.  

My sweet family members always come in to check out the latest soaps on the drying/curing racks and like to help out by sampling products, wrapping soaps and everything in between.  I love my family members and friends (new and old) wherever they are for the support and love they show me time after time.  Thanks guys, you are the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment